LIVE, WORK AND PLAY!
Chelan County PUD is located in the geographical center of Washington State at the confluence of the Columbia and Wenatchee rivers. A public power leader, the complex and progressive nature of PUD operations offer a unique mix of challenges and opportunities.
We own and operate the nation's second largest nonfederal, publicly owned hydroelectric generating system. Two of Chelan PUD's hydropower stations Rocky Reach Dam and Rock Island Dam , are part of an 11-dam system on the U.S. portion of the Columbia River, which is fed by the fourth largest drainage system in North America. Our three hydroelectric generating projects have a combined total generating capacity of over 2,000 megawatts. And as part of hydropower operations, we've also built 14 parks that serve more than 3 million visitors each year.
Rated by National Geographic as one of the top 10 mountain towns in the U.S., and by Sunset Magazine as one of the top 20 Western DREAM TOWNS, Wenatchee is a recreational paradise with an abundance of adventure. The natural beauty of the Wenatchee Valley provides a vivid backdrop to its thriving economy, where the quality of life is high and the climate is moderate with four distinct seasons, including more than 200 days of sunshine! We enjoy water sports on the Wenatchee and Columbia rivers, hiking, biking, rock climbing and unlimited golfing . Downhill and cross-country skiing are just minutes away, and the area is known for producing quality wines .
Live in the beautiful Wenatchee area and work collaboratively with like-minded, innovative and passionate people to bring together ideas from inception through project implementation.
The position is Open until Filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately; the first review date is scheduled for March 20, 2018.
To apply, submit the required cover letter and resume describing interest in the position and specific experience or power system classes and projects dedicated to power distribution systems. To expedite the process, combine your cover letter and resume into one PDF or WORD document BEFORE APPLYING and upload electronically when requested in the online application process. Incomplete materials will not be considered.
Interested parties are also invited to contact Ruth Erwert, Recruiting Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The position will be filled at a level I, II or III (based on an incumbent's qualifications, skills and abilities)
In addition to a competitive salary range of $58,320 - $99,400, Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee's Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5%), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 21 days per year.
Introductory Period: New employees holding regular positions must complete an introductory period of twelve months.
It's an interesting time to be a Distribution Power System Engineer in our industry and at Chelan PUD. Advancements in non-wire solutions including concepts of storage, electric vehicles, and distributed generation are making their way into our power system. This coupled with new customer types using energy in ways not previously contemplated, such as cryptocurrency, is giving rise to significant challenges. The incumbent in this position will help Chelan PUD move from a traditional all wires and radial system to a bi-directional modern network serving our customers and responding to their requests. He or she will guide the PUD into the future by laying out a path to “grid modernization” and implementing new tools such as remote metering and distribution automation to assist in this journey.
The Distribution Power System Engineer works in a team and independently on a wide variety of issues. The engineer interfaces on a daily basis with numerous departments, such as Line Operations, and outside vendors and customers, on a daily basis. The incumbent will perform long range planning studies, day-to-day operations support, Standards support, and new technologies. Specific software packages include Milsoft WindMil for powerflow, ESRI GIS, Maximo, Primavera, and other dedicated computer systems.
JOB FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position. Secondary functions are activities not fundamental to the job and may need to be relaxed to accommodate an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability.
# EF/SF % of Time Job Functions
1. EF 55% Based on level of hire, performs electrical engineering and analyses of distribution system in the areas assigned, including, but not limited to power flow, voltage drop, load forecasting, line design criteria, system protection, system planning, short circuit studies, risk modeling, etc. Prepare detailed designs packages and work plans. Prepare cost estimates. Develop technical purchase and construction specifications including construction drawings. Prepare material, professional service and/or labor bid document packages. Follow engineering QA/QC procedures. Review submittals and respond to requests for information during construction. Develop inspection and testing plans. Inspect fabrication and construction activities, work products and troubleshoot construction problems. Prepare start-up and training plans for operation and maintenance of projects and assets.
2. EF 10% Perform engineering planning, cost estimating, economic analyses and develop alternatives to help determine solutions to operational problems, regulatory concerns, efficiency improvements, asset management issues, etc. Higher level incumbents perform feasibility studies (including technical report writing).
3. EF 10% Develop and implement scope, schedule and budget for projects or portions of more difficult projects similar to a level 2 project manager. Directs the work of the project team. Oversee and monitor project activities from concept to close out. Communicate project progress to internal clients, supervision and management. Write status and tracking reports. Present project recommendations to teams, management groups and the Board of Commissioners. Procure materials. Participate in the selection of consultants and assist with management of consultant contracts. Ensure compliance with QA/QC procedures to maintain the quality of project deliverables.
4. EF 10% Operations & Maintenance Troubleshooting/Technical Assistance - Troubleshoot complex operations and maintenance problems at the request of operations personnel. Clarify and pinpoint problems with ability to break complex problems down and solve for non-engineers. Develop testing methods and alternatives. Provide alternative problem solutions. Write reports and briefs describing possible solutions and recommendations.
5. EF 5% Provide preliminary cost estimates, project scopes and schedules.
6. EF 5% Participate in work process improvement efforts primarily as a member of interdisciplinary work teams.
7. SF 5% Identify and attend training to maintain and learn new skills.
8. SF Ongoing Drive a motorized vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the District.
9. EF Ongoing Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Comply with District policies. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Bachelor's degree (B.S., B.A. from a college or university) in Electrical Engineering. Professional engineering registration in the State of Washington is preferred.
Based on levels, requires 0-8 yearss utility or relevant comparable experience, such as working at a consulting firm for a utility, performing electrical engineering design and project management for power distribution systems. Considerable experience in applying the principles, practices and procedures of engineering, project management and construction is required for higher level incumbents.
Specific KSA's: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities (Basic to extensive based on incumbent's level I, II or III):
• Knowledge and understanding of electrical engineering design and project management directly relating to the District’s power distribution systems.
• Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of engineering, project management and construction, including methods, materials, equipment, techniques, technical software, schedules, specifications and contract documents, is necessary.
• Knowledge of related specialties in the discipline and of other disciplines is required.
• Knowledge of applicable NERC/WECC reliability standards
• Project management methods
Skills: (Basic to extensive based on incumbent's level I, II or III):
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Develop sound designs, test methods, and identify appropriate specifications and measurements
• Critical thinking skills
• Complex problem solving
Abilities (Basic to extensive based on incumbent's level I, II or III):
• Ability to work as design engineer and project manager on projects or as a part of larger and more complex projects.
• Ability to interpret applicable codes and standards including NESC, IEEE, NFPA, NEC, FERC, NERC, WECC, ANSI, etc.
• Perform complex engineering design and analysis in several engineering specialties within a discipline.
• Develop, collect, and present data and evidence in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse work force including the skilled crafts, contractors, customers and other engineers.
Must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual is required to have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, Primavera, Maximo Order Processing, Maximo Asset Management and Power Flow Simulations; and knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials, PeopleSoft Time Entry/HRIS, PC Hardware; and General Office Equipment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; perform repetitive hand or arm motion; and talk, hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise level is usually moderate.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or other protected classifications as defined by law.
EO M/F/Disability/Vet Employer
EEO Law Poster ( English or Spanish )
EEO Law Poster Supplement ( English )
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-I.35(c)